Monday, October 1, 2007

This is a Poetry Blog...Right?

I suppose that since I started this blog to inform people about the different poetry events going on around my area and in different venues around the US I would update you all on what's going on in my life with Poetry. It has been a lot so be prepared to read and read and maybe read some more.

The first thing is that I have been writing more and more everyday. I think I am writing more now than ever before. It is fun seeing all of the things that i am coming up with. I have written love poems, hate poems and why aren't you with me because that Bitch you are with now ain't shit poems. Poems about poems and poems about not wanting to write poems. It has been a completely liberating experience. Everything that I had been doing for the longest time has had to deal with politics and racism. I think ever since the Don Imus incident I have been on a rampage. I guess I had a lot to get off of my chest. But the great thing is that I am getting some wonderful poetry out of it. At least I think so.

The second major poetry thing that has happened to me is that I hosted my very first Poetry Reading on Saturday, September 22, 2007 at the Mission House. Montgomery's premiere jazz and blues lounge. I was sooo excited. At first I was asked to come out and perform because I had done a couple shows there and some people suggested me. Can you believe it? There is a buzz about me. I was geeked. So I was all set to just perform, because that is always good enough for me but then about a week before the show I was asked to host. Of course I said "Hell Yeah". I was so excited. I was to be the host of the Mission House's First Groove vs. Soul night. Groove outside with a DJ that would play music from the 70'sk, 80's and 90's and get some Soul in you system with live poetry and art in motion on the inside. Ya'll know some mess had to go on that night right? When I got there I talked to one of the Managers and she informed me that since it was a bit rainy outside they would move the DJ inside and move us poets to a smaller room. I was like "how are we supposed to do poetry and have a DJ in the same house?" And she was all it would work out and everything would be alright, but ya'll know that everything was not alright. The music was entirely too loud and my poets were mad as hell. At the end of the night I was able to pull it together and I must say that it was quite successful. Even though they played me when it came to the DJ. The manager said that he wanted to do it again and I replied "not with a damn DJ in the next room." So we will see what will happen if there is a next time.

Poet of the Month

It has been a long time since I gave out this honor. So I just wanted to share a poet with you all that I think is truly awesome. The Poet is young, handsome and most of all talented. Dahlak Brathwaite is this month's Poet of the Month. Check him out at his website or google the brother.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=5693714



Peace
IAMNOTANIGGA (And I have proof)

7 comments:

U. S. Army Ranger, The Journey Begins said...

Nice post. It is nice to see someone from close to my home. I am from Marion over in Perry County. That is colorful and ripe with descriptive phrases. I really enjoyed the thoughts as I read the sentences. It is indeed a very enjoyable read and I look forward to reading some more of your work.

May God continue to inspire your imagination with vividly descriptive phrases and words:

God bless you,
Pastor Reginald Walker

P.S. please go to my blog here and these websites and view my current books and poems:
http://www.sermoncentral.com/contributor_profile.asp?ContributorID=40228

http://www.everypoet.net/poetry/blogs/the_u_s_army_ranger_poetic_series

http://www.everypoet.net/poetry/blogs/reginald_levi_walker

http://www.poemhunter.com/reginald-walker/poems/

http://www.myspace.com/nabahood23

www.storypen.com/theusarmyrangerapoeticshortstory

http://www.storiesville.com/component/option,com_comprofiler/task,userProfile/user,597/Itemid,36/

U. S. Army Ranger, The Journey Begins said...

I am sorry that I forgot to leave you a poem:

May I use your bathroom, please?


The sound of my alarm clock wakes me.
I swing my feet over the side of my bed.
Honey brings me the paper and coffee.
I yawn, stretch, then I rub my bald head.

I stand up and go to the bathroom.
My paper, under my arm, in tow.
Just as I am coming out of the bedroom.
My daughter closes the bathroom door.

So I grab myself and cock my knees.
I quckly run for bathroom number two.
Just as I am coming down the stairs.
My darling wife closes that door, too.

I am amazed by what just happened.
I turn and rush out the backdoor.
‘Damn, ’ in anger, I shouted aloud
‘In the garage, there is one more.’

Through the kitchen and out the backdoor
To the garage, as I fast as could, I ran.
I open the door expecting I would finally sit.
I have been holding this as long as I can.

Just as I enter the garage,
All my plans are undone.
I hear the bathroom door slam shut.
I just got beat there by my own son.

I say to myself, ‘I wish we only had one kid.’
All right, I know where there is one more.
Across the street I hurriedly went.
To the neighborhood convenience store.

Copyrighted 2007

Reginald Walker

Michelle W. said...

Thank Reginald. I really appreciate the kind words and poetry. When I started this blog I was hoping to meet like minded people and I hope you are a sign of many to come. Thanks for the poem. It was way too cute. Keep writing and definately keep sharing. And if you have any suggestions for poet of the month please let me know.

Peace

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been searching for that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots are approximately 220 pounds everwhere. But finally I found this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hello everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that particular model. The prices seeking the boots were approximately 350 dollars everwhere. But definitively I found this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that exact model. The prices as regards the velcros were about 190 pounds everwhere. But finally I bring about this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you tell me about these?